- Gain the maximum exposure with your resources by planning your media systems.
- Make it easy for the media to cover your action. Supply free content that is valuable for their business models.
- When the mainstream media uses the content that you produce, it is harder for them to frame you in a negative way
- Become your own journalist and tell your story your way, to your own audience.
- Plan how you are going to frame your message so you are clear and effective in communicating it
- Plan how you are going to produce and distribute your media with your available resources
- Integrate media planning into the core design of your action or campaign
- Press releases are used for sending to journalists and via your own media channels
- Produce your own Photography, Video and/or Audio
- Produce your own stories, articles and wrap-ups
- Access media professionals to help if you can. DYI if not
- Learn to produce and distribute media on your phone
- Teach your supporters to produce and distribute media on their phones
Getting your media to journalists and news channels
- Journalists are overloaded so connect with them
- Build a list of journalists to send your press releases to.
- Build relationships with specific journalists that are likely to cover your campaign or action
- Follow up your press releases with phone calls to specific journalists
- Lots of journalists use social media so build twitter lists for your targeted journalists
Getting your media to your own audience
- Learn social media to create your own audience
- Form and use your existing relationships to share resources, lists and audience. Support each other by sharing each others content
- Form partnerships to syndicate your content. For example you could write a blog post for a independent news site or blog
- Build your audience by giving them updates, quality content and involving them
- Use theatre, art, music, drama, props, design, infographics, technology, experimentation
Introduction to media planning by ActionSkills is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.