Choosing a domain name can be tricky as lots of words have already been registered by someone else and are not available.
Some tips for choosing a name:
- Be unique – this will make it more likely that your name is available. It is also more likely that your social media names will be available.
- Be easy to remember and pronounce – you want word of mouth promotion too, try saying it aloud a few times.
- Be short – Individual Webpage URL’s can get long, so the shorter the domain the better.
- Be descriptive – if appropriate use words that represent what you do.
- Be careful – ensure your name cannot be misinterpreted. For example:
expertsexchange.com – Experts Exchange
therapistfinder.com – Therapist Finder.
Some tips for choosing a domain
- .com is the most prestigious global domain. Can be very hard to get or expensive to buy.
- .com.au is the best domain to use if you want to be branded as an Australian entity.
- Explore other domains if you cannot get your custom name. For example you could use .tv if you were a film or related project or use .co which actually means Columbia, however not many people know that and it is very similar to .com
How to choose a domain by ActionSkills is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.